Monday, February 21, 2011

Travel Trunk

About a month ago I came across this trunk for $14.99 at Goodwill:
 I have had every intention of painting it and turning it into a little coffee table slash extra storage for my study. I am sure you can relate to this. You know, starting a million other things before getting to one that is just sitting there waiting and waiting and waiting for you. Well yay to me because I FINALLY finished this beautiful trunk!

 The first thing I did was spray the brass a metallic bronze with Rustoleum spray paint (outside of course).
 I let that dry, did another coat to touch it up, and then moved on to adding some legs to this baby. I picked up four leg posts and four metal brackets at Lowes. I attached the brackets and then screwed in the wood posts:



Notice my little helper. Now he is sitting back and checking out his hard work!


 Next I painted around all the metal fixtures in a cream color:
 I then glazed it a bit to add some depth to it:

 My mother sent me some postcards awhile back that my grandmother had collected. I decided to add these to the top of the piece to give it some sentimental appeal:


 I used mod podge to adhere them to the trunk.

 The next thing I did was look in Google Images to find passport stamp pictures. I used these as inspiration and painted them on the trunk. I then used the travel stamps that I used in my Pottery Barn lamp shade knock off. When I finished painting and stamping all this on, I lightly sponged on some wood stain for some vintage appeal. The end result:





 This is going to be perfect in my study! Can't wait until my board and batten is finished so I can put the room back together.

 post signature

17 comments:

Kim said...

This turned out so nice! You can't even recognize it from the original picture- I can't wait to see your study!

Kimberlee said...

I love that you put it on legs! That's an awesome idea. It turned out great.

Vicky said...

I wasn't sure about the legs until I saw the finished product. All I can say is WOW. Just gorgeous

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

How fun! Looks like alot of hard work!!!

Anonymous said...

I likey!!

willowcreek said...

WOW this is awesome! Great job. I am a new follower! Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

www.willowcreeks.blogspot.com

Cassie Bustamante said...

that looks fabulous! i love that you added legs to it to give it the height you needed.

Scarlett said...

Great transformation! You picked up that trunk for a bagain price! Ive been on the look out for one for ages so fingers crossed i'll be lucky soon and find one :o) Scarlett x

Screaming Sardine said...

Woot, this is so cute!! I love it. I wish I had a steamer truck.

Thanks for sharing,
Tracy http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a great transformation. I'm your newest follower. It would be great if you could stop by my blog Monday and add your project to The More The Merrier Link Party.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Anne said...

That looks great! I used to have an old steamer trunk like that. I wonder if it's still at my parents' house....

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Very creative-you are talented!

Day before Michelle said...

Cute idea! I'll have to keep my eyes open for one now!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Wonderfully done! I have to keep my eye out for a trunk like this. Just gorgeous!

annies home said...

great job looks as if it has been around a block or two

terri said...

Thanks for the great idea! I'm a new follower to your blog:)

Cooper City Antique Mall said...

This repurposed trunk is amazing