Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sugar and spice and everything nice

That's what my little girl is made of. I am so very blessed to be the proud momma of a gorgeous (seriously) little girl and an adorably perfect little boy. Having one of each is so amazing, they are different in so many ways. The one thing they both have in common..... They both make me smile everyday of their lives.

I decided to take a break from my kitchen decorating today and do something very special for my super sassy, ultra feminine, favorite girl in the whole world:


When I told her I was buying a sewing machine, bless her little heart, she had a list of things that she would like me to make for her. Tutus, dresses, Halloween costumes, this girl dreams big! I have to say I am by no means any sort of a sewing expert, but I am ALWAYS willing to learn a new trade. So, here I am today sewing my girl a dress. Yes I said a dress. Really I'm going to try. If I can do it, guess what? You can too! So here follows my tutorial of a tank top that was too small and some pretty fabric I decided to sew to it. I am going to make this into two separate posts. For this first post I am going to show you how I make a tank top into a dress. In the second post I am going to show you how to make a trim around the waste and some fabric flowers out of silk. Then attach both to the dress!

 Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert, just a loving mom. I'm sure there are betters ways to do this, but this is what worked for me.

First things first, find a tank top or t-shirt that is too small and cut it where your little ones waste would be. I made her put the tank top on and marked where her waste is. Then take into account two inches for the seam:


I then measure from her waste to just above her knee and measured the width of the tank top. I took the length and added 2 inches for seams and I took the width and tripled it to account for pleats. So, I have two pieces of fabric both measuring 21in by 36in. Then I put the two pieces together and sewed together both sides:



I then folded the seam over and did another zig-zag stitch to stop the fraying:

 Then I folded over the top of the "skirt" two times and did a straight stitch:


Then, I took about two inches of fabric and pinned it in about a quarter of an inch to make pleats all around the "skirt":


 Make sure the top is aligned. Sew the pleats in place by doing a straight stitch a quarter of an inch down. Try to follow the top stitch that's already there.

 Now attach the "skirt" to the tank top where you have your girl's waist marked. I found it easier to put both pieces inside out and stretch the tank top over the skirt to pin it into place. Now sew both pieces together:



 What we have now Is an adorable tank dress that is awaiting its bow and silk flowers! You will have to wait until tomorrow for that! I am all sewed out for the day!

 Happy sewing!!


 Michelle

1 comment:

Kim said...

so cute! My Mom sews for a living- and she taught me a lot about sewing when I was a girl. If your little one is interested at all you should sew and learn together- some of my best memories are of my Mom helping me make things. She sure is pretty :) I bet she was thrilled you were doing things from her list!