Friday, February 4, 2011

I love ruffles!!

I just have to say that (as you can see by the name of this post) I really love ruffles. You can make something plain look elegant with a little bit of them. I was going to buy a ruffle attachment for my sewing machine, but I decided why not just try and do them by hand? (I still will probably buy the attachment because I'm sure its a better way to do this). Anyways, I took a red and white striped towel that I got from the Dollar store ( it is amazing the things you can buy in there). I then purchased some ribbon that was 50% off at hobby lobby for a dollar. Total project cost: $2.00 per towel:






So here is my tutorial on some cute ruffle hand towels: I first took the ribbon and cut two pieces that were three times the width of the towel. Then I did one piece of ribbon that was two times the width of the towel.

 I took one piece of ribbon at a time and folded it over and over and over and over ( this part took forever, I bet the ruffle attachment would have come in handy here).





I then did a straight stitch down the middle of the ribbon. I repeated this process for the next two rows. The last row I did was the smaller ribbon. I place that in the middle of the towel. You will have to play around with the spacing a bit to get it even. If you are OCD a perfectionist like me, this last ruffle might take awhile:




I think this adds a soft feminine touch to my kitchen. I LOVE how this turned out. I may be making ruffle hand towels for my bathrooms now. I am obsessed! Seriously though, how cute can you get for $2.00?

 Happy sewing!



 Michelle

6 comments:

Holly said...

That is very cute, and I love that you were able to do it so inexpensively! Perfect Valentine's decor!

Technically, folding is called "pleats", but
there is an easier way to do actual ruffles w/o an attachment (I didn't even know there was such a thing!).
I actually did a tutorial last year on sewing ruffles if you're interested http://bit.ly/i6yfyv

Visiting from Amanda's.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I love ruffles too! I did that same technique on some burp cloths and found myself too wishing I had a ruffle foot. I'm going to check out Holly's tip about how to sew ruffles. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shirley Fachilla said...

Clever and cheap! Wonderful.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I also am a lover of the ruffles. ;) You did a great job in transforming those towels! Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :)

Krysta said...

That turned out so cute! I can't wait to see your ENTIRE kitchen when you get it all done.

Jen said...

Okay, I'm doing this!!