Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ruffle Valance

I actually made this a couple weeks ago and keep forgetting to post it. Well at least I am now. Right? Do you remember the burlap curtains I made for my kitchen? If not go HERE. I made a roman shade-ish curtain for the small window in my kitchen. It was a craft fail. It looked alright in the picture, but in person it just drove me nuts. SO I made a cute little ruffle valance that was super easy to make.

Said curtain before in burlap:

 I took some left over drop cloth I had from my drop cloth curtains in my living room and measured the width of the window and added 4 inches. Then I measured 1/3 of the height of the window and added 5 inches.
 I cut two strips of fabric the 1.5 times the width of the curtain and 12inches thick.
 I made a top pocket for the main curtain part by folding over 3 inches
 I then hemmed the two strips of fabric I cut
 Then ruffle the fabric by sewing a loose straight stitch (I put my setting on 5 length) then gather the fabric together by pulling the top stitch. Now attach first ruffle right below the pocket you made:
 Ruffle the second strip of fabric and attach under the top ruffle. Make sure the top ruffle just covers the top of the second ruffle
 Now you have a perfect little ruffle valance

I then added this:

The shelving is the same I did in my living room HERE. I still need to caulk and paint them. That will be this weekends project! Also, need to change up the decorations. Think I will do all cream like I did on my living room shelves.




Michelle

Tip Junkie handmade projects Photobucket
The Shabby NestHookingupwithHoH< Transformation Thursday



3 comments:

A room with a view said...

I marvel at those who have sewing skills and put them to good use. Great job!

Krysta said...

OMG! I love it. That is the perfect kitchen curtain. It will look so good looking at it from your family room with the same shelf and decor in both rooms. Perfect finishing touch.

Meredith said...

very cute lady! i need to get my sew on stat! ;)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS