Tuesday, October 25, 2011

An Unintentional Knock-off

Well sort of. I found this table at Goodwill over the weekend:


(umm don't mind the messy garage. From chaos comes a masterpiece. That's what I tell myself)

So doesn't this remind you of something. Oh are you not a Pottery Barn stalker like me. Well let me just show you. Take a look at Pottery Barn's Newberry rectangular coffee table:

Newberry Rectangular Coffee Table
The bottom on my curves a bit and the top is obvioulsy different, but I knew exactly how this beauty was going to be painted when I saw it at goodwill.

So I sanded down the entire top to bare wood. It was pretty beat up on the top otherwise I might have just left it.
 I then slightly sanded the bottom because I'm painting it cream so a little wood stain on it still won't hurt. Just trying to get through the protective layer of poly and get out any knicks.
 I stained the top in Special Walnut (gasp! I went away from my signiture dark walnut. Don't worry you're still my favorite). Then I painted the bottom with Glidden Parchment mixed with a bit of glaze to thin out the paint. Nobody likes brush strokes people! Notice my professional drying skills. I told you all the cool kids do it (Because I'm cool. Duh.)
 I then took a bit of my wood stain and mixed it up with the clear glaze and did a bit of a rub on rub off scenario. Mr. Miyagi would be proud ( I actually took the time to google that name because really who knows how to spell that?!)
I then added several coats of poly to the top and a nice wax finish to the bottom.


Doesn't it look like they could be brothers or maybe cousins. Perfection!

A shout out to Vivienne at The V-Spot for telling me the name of the site that I can do collage photos on.

Michelle

Tip Junkie handmade projects Photobucket
The Shabby NestHookingupwithHoH< Transformation Thursdaythree boys




21 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks awesome- i love the top of it! and yes, they look like fraternal twins! :)

Yadira said...

That top is great! Looks like a repurposed door.

I found this post through Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts.

Rebecca said...

I agree with the previous commenter...the top of that table looks like an old door, which makes your piece WAY better than the PB one!

A room with a view said...

That is phenomenal work! I do love how it looks and it is great you took the trouble to look up Mr Miyagi's name! Picasa is good for collages.

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

Looks AMAZING! I use Picasa for photo collages - it's a breeze :) I would love for you to share this transformation with my readers if you get the chance: http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/10/taking-timeout-thursday-link-party-no-2.html
-Trish

Krysta said...

Awesome find! I love the top too. It makes it a little unexpected.

Geri O said...

Wow, I love the table. I too love to shop thrift stores for deals. You have inspired me to keep shopping for tables. If you have time come check out my blog. http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Girl you knocked it out of the park with this one! It is gorgeous. Love, Love.

Unknown said...

It is perfect! You did a great job!

Milla said...

I especially love the top of this. It almost looks like an old door. Great job!

shirley fachilla said...

I like yours way better than Pottery Barn's. It's beautiful.

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Yours is definitely the hansome brother... way better than PB's!

Shannon@shabbytochicqueencreek said...

I love this table. What a great job you did on this. I am your newest follower.
http://shabbytochicqueencreek.blogspot.com

Kahli said...

Fraternal twins that's what they are! I actually like yours better! much more character!

Allison@FabRehab said...

Fabulosity!! Looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

CUTE! Looks great! You should submit this to Knock Off Decor!!!

Dana @ craftedniche.wordpress.com

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

Love your cute table! It looks pretty dang close to PB's if I do say so myself ;) Great Job!

Bailey K. | Travel Heals said...

wow, you did such a great job. this is beautiful! and i like yours better than the pottery barn's. :)

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

Janny said...

I love the makeover. I'm trying to find furniture ideas, because we just moved into a house. Thanks for the inspiration.

Youaretalkingtoomuch.com said...

This is awesome! I cannot believe how close this is to PB's. I like yours better! I found you at Transformation Thursday. My readers would love to meet you. I would love it if you would share this at the MeetMeMonday linky party. They would love your blog~ I can't wait for them to meet you~Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

Lindsay said...

FANTASTIC JOB! This looks so much like the PB table. I too love that table and have been looking for one to redo. I found one but yours looks so mc=uch liek theirs it is crazy and I bet your was a whole lot less expensive..Great job I love two toned furniture.
I will be a new follower.I found you on KNOCK OFF DECOR.

Lindsay @
www.countrygilrhome.blogspot.com