Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Brownies with.....Avocado?

Have you ever read The V-spot? Love this blog! Vivienne is super funny and very creative. Well any who, she did a post yesterday on using avocado in place of butter on her toast. So it reminded me of my grain free brownie recipe which uses avocado in place of butter as well ( I didn't make up this recipe, found it online awhile back and tweaked it a bit). Seriously yummy recipe! A must try!



Grain free brownies:

3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 large  eggs - separated
1/2 cup  ground almonds (I ground my almonds in a coffee grinder until its a powder consistency)
2oz butter melted and cooled
1/2 ripe medium hass avocado, well mashed
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cider vinegar

Preheat the oven to 325 and line a small baking tray with parchment paper.


 beat egg whites with vinegar until stiff peaks form
In another bowl, beat together egg yolks, sugar, cooled butter, vanilla and avocado, until thick, pale and mousse-like.
Into the avocado mix, fold ground almonds and sifted cocoa powder until thoroughly combined.
With a metal spoon or spatula, fold half the egg white into the mix to loosen and then the rest until just combined.
Ease into the lined baking tray, gently smoothing the top, as little as possible to preserve the air in the mix.
Bake for 25 minutes or until just firm to the touch. It's always better to undercook a brownie than overcook.


Mmmmmm enjoy! Seriously these are so good! Just be sure to mash the avocado really well and not to put too much in! 



Michelle
  
Check out where I Party

4 comments:

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

This looks interesting! I'll give it a try. Thanks for the mention.
:)

Brooke Douglass said...

ooooo brownies are my favorite!!!! I am your newest follower!
Come on over to my blog and enter my fun giveaway!!!!
brookedouglass@yahoo.com
Girl Boy Girl Inspired

Elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine adding avocado to brownies, but now I might have to try it. My friend who is a dietitian adds black beans. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

these look amazing! I think I may steal this and tweak it even further! I don't use eggs for baking anymore - I use ground flax/water...works like a charm! If you get a sec, pop on over to Foodie Friday and link up!
Oh, and I found you on Night Owl Crafting!