Monday, April 18, 2011

Ballard's for inspiration

I LOVE Ballard designs. Who doesn't? Oh and Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and a little Z-gallery. I dream of these places. I get every single catalog of these stores. Every time one comes in the mail I cherish ever page turned. Obsession? Maybe, but It does strike up my creativity. I saw this in Ballard's recent home catalog:
Isn't she just lovely??? I can't get enough of chandeliers. Seriously, I could have one in every room. They are so elegant and classy. So can you guess how much Ballard's wants for this lovely art work? $289. Yep as in two hundred and eighty nine dollars. I don't know about you, but I can't and wouldn't spend almost 300 dollars on something that I could do my own version of.

So I first sketched out my own version of the design on a 11x14 canvas (theirs is 40x40 too big for me. Besides I already had the 11x14 sitting in a closet):


 I then painted it all black:

I then painted the background cream and blotted some black through it. I also blotted some cream on the chandelier:
 Finally I added strokes of silver paint through the whole painting:

 LOVE IT! I think this painting would look amazing on a piece of plywood too (instead of canvas). That way you could distress it a bit too.

 By the way almost finished with my furniture piece. Can't wait to do a post on it!

 
Michelle
 Check out where I Party

8 comments:

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love this! It's beautiful and I like the version you did even better. A great spin on it. :)

Sunni said...

This is nifty! I love Ballard's stuff too--but not their prices. Great job on the project! If you get a chance, come by and visit me @ http://sunnissideoflife.blogspot.com/

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Oh I LOVE IT. Nice job on the painting, you are good! Mine would have looked more like an octopus than a chandelier;)

very merry vintage style said...

Looks great! I love Ballard too--your version is beautiful!
Mary

Christine @ sugarandtrash.com said...

This is beautiful! Great painting.

Kath said...

wow! this is really cool. i'm so impressed. I LOVE IT. great blog too.

new follower!
kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Tammy said...

You did a great job! Your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime soon.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great knock-off!!! Love the distressed look. :)