Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Curtains made from drop cloth

Yep you heard me right. The curtains I made in my Weekend Project are made from drop cloth. Guess how much they cost me?? $18.99 for all four panels. Isn't that exciting. Thats like $4.75 a panel. Crazy!! They look gorgeous too! Also, they are 96in long. Do you know how expensive curtains are that are that long? Like $50 to $70 for ONE panel! I saved some money people!




Supplies needed:
One package of 9ft by 12ft drop cloth (found at Lowes)
Coordinating thread
Sewing machine
Iron

Ok so you have a whole lot of fabric here. You are going to cut into four equal panels cutting from the 12 ft side. So you should have four 36in wide panels that are 9ft long (108in). Or you could make the panels wider if say you only need two of them.


 Now hem raw edges on the sides. Some sides are already finished. Fold over 1/4 of an inch once and then again. Iron down and do a straight stitch down the side.
Fold over top 5 inches, iron down, and sew in place
 Throw in washer and add a bit of fabric softener.
 


Put on curtain rod and measure where you need to cut. Cut off excess, leaving about two inches to hem up.

 Iron down the edges by folding over twice as you did above. Hem in place
 You are done! Sit back and enjoy!


Relish in the fact you just spent $4.75 for four gorgeous curtains! Shhhh don't tell anyone ;)

Check out how I made the shelving units the curtains are hanging from HERE


Michelle

Check out where I PARTY

10 comments:

A room with a view said...

Those look amazing; I might try them.

Me said...

Oh I looooove a good bargain. Yea curtains are insanely expensive!! Next time I go to Lowes, I'm getting myself some drop cloths!

Shirley Fachilla said...

Oh, I love your curtains. They are tres chic, tres "green," and Lordy, they are washable! Amazing.

Krysta said...

You could not have done better than that! They look perfect.

Just Jaime said...

Look great! So simple!

Patti said...

The curtains look great. Drop cloths are so chic--the color is so neutral and versatile.

Kate said...

Thanks for linking up to Flaunt it Friday! What a great deal on 96" curtains! :)

Unknown said...

Hey there fellow Texas blogger. I just popped in from "Better After" and am enjoying your blog. I've added myself as your newest follower. GREAT idea about the curtains! Hope you pop in and see me sometime! Happy Summer Ya'll...........

WhisperWood Cottage said...

They look perfect! And the price is amazing!! Thanks so much for linking up to the Authentic Style linky party at WhisperWood Cottage!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a pretty room and the panels look wonderful! I also love the shelf above them and your great clock. Thanks for joining the Open House party.
xo,
Sherry