Friday, May 27, 2011

Tamale Pie

I LOVE this recipe! I really enjoy just about any Mexican food. This actually takes some time and effort to make, but It's worth it! There are two recipes you have to make in order to make the tamale pie. First make an enchilada sauce. I have might beef browning while I'm making the sauce.

Preheat oven to 425

 Enchilada sauce:
 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
 1/2 tablespoon of flour
 2 tablespoons of chili powder
 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock
 6 oz can of tomato paste
 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
 dash of salt

 In a saucepan put together the oil and flour and cook on medium heat for about a minute. Stirring constantly. add chili powder and cook another 30 seconds. add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. reduce to low heat and cook for 15 min.

 When your beef is browned and drained add your enchilada sauce.




 Now onto the cornbread topping

2 cups of corn meal
 1 cup of milk
 1 egg
 3 tablespoons of sugar
 1/4 cup of olive oil
 4 teaspoons of baking powder
 1 small can of dice green chilies

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes. stirring frequently. mixture should be thickened.



 Now spoon onto beef mixture and put in oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese on top, not much. put back in oven for 10 min.



 Enjoy! I add some salsa to the top. It's so good! That was my dinner last night and lunch today. Yum!



Michelle
  
Check out where I Party

5 comments:

texas girl said...

Yumm this looks good! I'm lazy could I just use canned enchilada sauce? Ha!

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

Lol! You totally could, but this sauce would probably taste better :)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Ohhh. This looks so good! And I'm glad I've got the canned option too. ;)

GUAMtastic said...

YUMMO! Looks delicious! Cooking Light has a chicken tamale casserole that is also really good (and super easy). http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tamale-casserole-10000001854020/

Shirley Fachilla said...

We love Mexican and this sounds very good. I might even make it though it would take a bit of time.
I looked at your prior post. I love the damask but the last pattern is very nice and elegant as well. The damask is so graceful and fun that I think it gets my vote. (It also looks more you!)