Friday, November 4, 2011

Yard sale chair makeover

Guess what?! I made it!! Whoooo! Round two here I come! Thanks to everyone who voted for me. If you happen to visit One Month to Win it and are wondering what project was mine, it was the yard sale chair makeover.

I found this chair at a yard sale a bit back and knew it would be perfect for my entry. Remember I have been searching for a chair. It kind of helped it was only $4.00. That really won me over.

 I sanded her down slightly.
 Then took Krylon's Metallic gold and got to spraying

 I wanted a fabric back on this chair and emailed Sarah from Three Boys ( she is an upholstery genius! I just asked what she would use to upholster a back of a chair that was wood. She said Foam. How simple was that?!). So I cut out a piece of foam in the same shape as the back:
 Now for the back, I didn't want it to stick out as far as the front, so I used a piece of poster board I had on hand. I stapled this to the backside:
 I then cut out my shapes for the top front and bottom cushion:
 I then taped off my chevron pattern. Finally I used chevron in something! Yay!

 Then I broke out Krylon's black in flat and sprayed away!
 While letting the paint dry on both pieces, I stapled the foam piece to the back of the chair:
 I then stapled the back top piece to the front:
 Then trimmed away the excess fabric:
 And hot glued some trim to cover the staples:

 I then stapled just a plain cream piece of fabric to cover the posterboard on the back and put a little bit of batting in it to fill it out. I also hot glued the same trim on the back to cover the staples:
 I then stapled the bottom fabric to the cushion and screwed the seat in!
 Beautiful!!
 She looks like perfection in my entry!
 LOVE!


Thanks again for all that voted!

Also thank you thank you thank you for all your kind comments yesterday about my pregnancy news! Yay!!


Michelle


Tip Junkie handmade projects Photobucket
The Shabby NestHookingupwithHoH< Transformation Thursdaythree boys

21 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

aaah! i am so excited~! i loved this chair and it was the project i voted for !!!!! YAY!!!!! congrats and good luck continuing!

Me said...

I'm so excited that I voted for you! And congrats on making it to the next round! You made this project look wayyyy too easy. I am way too scared to even look at my staple gun ever again, the process of stapling was super painful! Good luck :)

Lisa @ MMT said...

Awesome chair! I love the colors you chose, so original. I will vote for you :)

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

I am DROOLING over this. It is insanely amazing. LOVE!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Kimberly said...

Congrats!! I'll see you in Round 2!! :)

Shaunna said...

VERY cool makeover...and it looks great in your entry! Best of luck to you with your pregnancy!
:-)
shaunna

Robyn @ ItsRobyn.com said...

Wow! You're so brave to work with a geometric pattern like that. By the looks of the first few photos, I was kinda scared for you but it turned out beautifully!

shirley fachilla said...

Congratulations! You prevailed over some stiff competition. Your chair is so contemporary and dramatic.

Jaime said...

Wow, what a transformation, great job!!

Sarah, Three Boys said...

SAWEETNESS!!!!! you knocked it out of the park with this one. Gorgeous.

Crazy Wonderful said...

I about choked when I saw this I gasped so hard, hahaha!!! She's a beauty! I'm a huge sucker for black and white - can never go wrong with it :)

Nikki Monet said...

Gorgeous!! I love everything about it! New follower here. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-7_6572.html

Also, PRETTY PLEASE stop by and check Random Acts of Kindness Week going on next week! Would love it if you could participate!!
http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/kindness-and-thanksgiving.html

Have a great week!!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

such a GREAT redo! I love the stripes/chevron, it makes it so fun looking :)

I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/11/your-whims-wednesday-32-and-features.html

Decor & Harmony said...

Wow now that's snazzy jazzy! It's completely different great job. I'm your newest follower stop by for a blog visit.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Wow. It turned out amazing. I'm having a giveaway over at DIY Home Sweet Home. Would love you to stop by and check it out.
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shabby-apple-dress.html

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

She looks amazing and what a great tutorial....love that glue gun!!! The sprayed fabric...amazing!! WOW!!!

Dana Frieling said...

You're chair looks great! My entryway has the exact same stripes. Great minds think alike!

Courtney said...

Awesomeness!!! A girl after my own heart!
Great job...you rock!

Karima said...

Wow, wow, wow, what a brilliant job you did and thanks so much for sharing! When I saw you staple the foam on - I was like oh no! - then the next picture with the trim glued on I was so surprised! I would never have thought of that. Your newest follower, Karima
www.karimascrafts.com

Amy @ FWD said...

I'm stopping in from House of Hepworths....

This chair is fabulous! Great job!

A room with a view said...

This was quite an undertaking and it looks absolutely stunning. Truly inspirational! And congratulations on your special news.