Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thrifty measures

So, I totally slacked on my sewing today. Sorry you are going to have to wait on the new cushion cover for my dining bench. I seriously could not sew today due to the fact I spent four hours yesterday sewing (who knew a cushion cover would take so long!).

 I did however make some pretty swanky (love that word, just had to use it) decor for my kitchen island. I took some random pieces I got from thrift stores:





I used my trusty goop (if you don't have some of this, it is a must to have in stock at home) and did some stacking:



I then added some coffee beans into the candle holders and puts some candles in the center. If you don't like the smell of coffee ( I do, I am a coffee addict! It's not the caffeine, I mostly drink decaf) you could use some black beans or whatever color beans you want for that matter.  I then took some decorative flowers and placed it in the little container thingy ( have no idea what it's called. Any ideas?) Any who, this is what I have now:






My project cost: $1.98 for each candle holder and $3.99 for the container thingy, so that would be $7.95 ( already had the other supplies on hand). Pretty cool for under 10 bucks!

 Happy gooping!

 Michelle

5 comments:

Krysta said...

Cute, Cute! We need to go thrifting together. You find way better things than me! I love the idea of stacking things like that. You can never go wrong with stacking. I need to bring you some cookies to put in your container thingy. I have probably eaten two dozen all by myself in the last day!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love the coffee beans with the candle. That is really pretty! :) Thanks for the visit today. :)

Kim said...

They turned out so cool! I'm going to be looking with new eyes at the thrift shop because I have a couple of candleholders I've never 100% liked- but I bet they would look great with glass attached! I love coffee too-especially the smell! I have to tell you that your bathroom mirror has inspired me to frame out a mirror I have- now just to get to the hardware store! Have a super weekend!

Chelsea @ two twenty one said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out my split pea-filled hurricanes!

Great idea of filling them with coffee beans! I love the smell of coffee, so I'm all for this idea! Thanks! :)

{cuppakim} said...

SO fun! I saw this idea on two-twenty-one yesterday - and hit up the dollar tree to get them. I made them last night and need filler. I may go with coffee beans - YUM! :)